1 hr 30 mins
Quebec snow crab is combined with broccoli, oven-poached and served on a sauce, nouveau cuisine fashion. This appetizer is the creation of Chef Denis Pelletier of Moulin de St. Laurent, a contemporary French restaurant located in an old stone mill in the village of St. Laurent on Ile d'Orleans. Ramekins can be filled ahead and oven poached at the last minute, or you can reheat the cooked flan in a microwave oven for about 2 minutes at Medium (50 percent).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bunch broccoli, small florets
- 1/2 lb crabmeat, trimmed of cartilage (fresh or frozen)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
LEMON BUTTER SAUCE
- 1Cook broccoli florets in boiling salted water just until tender-crisp; drain.
- 2Generously brush 6 to 8 ramekin or custard cups with melted butter.
- 3Divide crab meat with broccoli among the ramekins. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream and milk; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 4Fill ramekins three-quarters full with the custard and set in a shallow pan of hot water. Oven poach for 1 hour at 325F or until set. (A knife inserted in centre should come out clean.).
- 5Make Lemon Butter Sauce and pour onto 6 to 8 serving plates. Run a knife around the edge of each ramekin and un mold onto sauce.
- 6Lemon Butter Sauce:.
- 7In small saucepan, heat wine and chopped shallot.
- 8Bring to a boil and reduce over medium-high heat until only 2 tablespoons of liquid remain.
- 9Reduce heat to low and whisk in butter, a few pieces at a time, until sauce is smooth and all the butter is incorporated. Whisk in cream and lemon juice.
- 10Keep warm in the top of a double boiler set over hot water until serving time.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quebecois Crab Custard With Lemon Butter Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.3
- Calories from Fat 446
- Total Fat 49.5 g
- Saturated Fat 30.1 g
- Cholesterol 261.5 mg
- Sodium 659.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 15.1 g