Recipe by Shirl (J) 831
A wonderful Canadian dish. Found this while searching for Canadian recipes.
Top Tweak by texasgirl73
This is a traditional family food that was a staple in our household growing up. The only difference in ours is that we actually mix the salmon in with the potatoes. It infuses the entire pie with the flavor of the salmon and spices.... it's delicious! Now I want to go home and bake one!
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can salmon
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts (store bought or home made)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease individual casseroles or a nine-inch deep pie plate.
- preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Drain, flake and crush bones from can of salmon.
- Bones are loaded with calcium and should never be discarded.
- Combine potatoes and all other ingredients except salmon.
- Place half the potato mixture in bottom of prepared casseroles or pie plate.
- Cover with salmon.
- Top with remaining potato mixture.
- Prepare sufficient pastry, roll out and cover casserole or pie plate.
- Cut vents for steam to escape.
- Bake in 400 F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly hot and crust is golden brown.
- Hint: Serve with chili sauce or chutney.