Recipe by Shirl (J) 831
A wonderful Canadian dish. Found this while searching for Canadian recipes.
Top Review by Boomette
I didn't use the savory. Here in Quebec, the salmon is mixed in the mashed potatoes. For me that's a real salmon pie. When I made that recipe, I couldn't imagine doing a layer of mashed potatoes with the salmon on top. I mashed the potatoes with butter and milk and then added the salmon with onion. It turned out so yummy that way. Thanks Shirl :) Made for Cookbook tag game
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can salmon
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts (store bought or home made)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease individual casseroles or a nine-inch deep pie plate.
- preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Drain, flake and crush bones from can of salmon.
- Bones are loaded with calcium and should never be discarded.
- Combine potatoes and all other ingredients except salmon.
- Place half the potato mixture in bottom of prepared casseroles or pie plate.
- Cover with salmon.
- Top with remaining potato mixture.
- Prepare sufficient pastry, roll out and cover casserole or pie plate.
- Cut vents for steam to escape.
- Bake in 400 F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly hot and crust is golden brown.
- Hint: Serve with chili sauce or chutney.