Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I love the flavor of Quebec baked beans. They are the best. I got this recipe from my Mother. It tastes better if done in a bean pot, but can be done in a round dutch oven.
- 1 lb dry white bean
- 1 large onion (cut into 8 wedges)
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork (Cut into pieces, Remove and discard the hard edge)
- Soak beans overnight.
- Drain water and refill pot. Boil 10 minutes.
- Skim off foam. Drain beans but Keep water.
- In bean pot or dutch oven put in all ingredients. Add water from beans to cover beans and 1 or 2 more inches above. Keep leftover water for later.
- Stir everything well.
- Cover and put in 225F oven for 8 hours.
- Check on them occasionally to see if more water is needed to keep beans covered so they don't dry out. Near end they don't need to be fully covered. Ready when beans are soft.
Delicious, i doubled the recipe and froze a whole bunch in portions for when i want them but don't have to go through the whole cooking process again.
The smell of these beans in the oven for 8 hours has been driving me crazy! They are really delicious. Mine were tender after 6 1/2 hours, but they were very runny. So I took the top off the pot and tried to let the liquid evaporate. It did somewhat, but the beans were still a little runny....at least compared to baked beans that I am familiar with. But the smell and taste of these is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!