Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Gooseberry Patch Hometown Favorites. A hearty, sustaining soup. Great for football Sundays.
- 2 -3 lbs ground beef
- 1 -2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can French style green beans, drained
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef; crumble into small pieces; drain and set aside.
- In a large soup pot; saute onions and garlic in melted butter until onions are tender.
- Add in drained ground beef and the remaining ingredients; stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil; then lower heat and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 30-40 minutes); adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, or hot sauce; also add more broth/wine if more liquid is needed.
This was a good soup for a cool evening. I made a half recipe of this, and added an additional can of beef broth to make it the right consistency of soup.