Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
tastey, honey and almond
- 3 cups unblanched whole almonds, toasted and cooled
- 1⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons butter, soft or 4 tablespoons soft solid type margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg, plus
- 1 tablespoon water, for an egg wash to brush on top
- Toast whole almonds for about 6- 8 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
- Put aside 2 cups of the almonds.
- To the remainder one cup of almonds chop very fine.
- Add the honey to the chopped almonds and mix well.
- Add the brown and white sugar and stir in well.
- In a large bowl beat the two eggs and beat in the soft butter or solid soft margarine.
- Add in the honey/nut/sugar mixture and beat well.
- Add in the dry ingredients and the 2 cups of almonds that were set aside.
- Combine all well and make a stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into two pieces.
- On parchment lined cookie sheets place each and make two logs about 12 inches by 4 inches, flatten slightly.
- Keep 4 inches between logs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush both logs with the egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20- 25 minutes, until firm and beginning just to show cracks.
- Remove each log to a wire rack.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Slice into slices with serrated knife.
- Place back onto parchment lined sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove and turn slices over.
- Bake another and final 8 minutes, until toasty and golden.
- Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
- Store airtight tin container.
- Will keep month or so at room temperature.
These were excellent. I made them for Christmas and they were a hit. They remind me of almond biscotti sold in NY or Boston pastry shops.