Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from Charmaine Solomon's Encyclopedia of Asian Food, one of my most used cookbooks. The toasted rice gives a lovely crisp finish and the marinade is delicious.
- 4 quail
- 4.92 ml chopped garlic
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml finely grated ginger
- 14.79 ml oil
- 44.37 ml natural yoghurt
- 14.78 ml ground coriander
- 9.85 ml rice flour (*)
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- 2.46 ml ground turmeric
- 2.46 ml white pepper
- 2.46 ml chili powder
- Using scissors or poultry shears, split the quail down the backbone and open out flat-I like to remove the backbone, and pull the tiny breast bones out (it's easy).
- Rinse and clean the cavity, and if the birds have been frozen, dry well with paper towel.
- Crush the garlic with the salt until very smooth, then mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Rub the mixture well into the quail, then cover and marinate at least 1 hour or overnight if time permits.
- Remove from the marinade, reserving it.
- Preheat a grill or broiler and cook, turning and brushing the quail at least twice with any remaining marinade.
- It the marinade is too thick to brush on, dilute it with a tablespoon each of oil and water.
- Cook until the quail are brown and crisp and done to your liking. I cooked our to medium and it took about 10 minutes.
- *Toast the rice in a dry pan, then grind with a mortar and pestle, the ground rice helps give the quail their nice crunchy coating.
I used this recipe for roasting my Christmas Quail dinner and I am so happy that I chose it. When I first looked at the spices I was concerned that it would be like a curried hen and although there is a hint of curry flavor this is a very rounded blend of spices that gives an exotic flavor. Watch you don't burn them with the marinade they could get very brown quite quickly. I used an apple brine and brined them for only 6 hours before marinating them for 6 hours. the combination of brining & then marinating them was wonderful The birds were succulent. Thanks Jan for a memorable Christmas dinner