Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A "company" perfect dish! This is a knockoff of the old recipe for Chicken in the limelight. My family loves that I have used it for quail. Can also be made with any game bird as well with Cornish Hens.
- 1 medium lime
- 6 quail, cleaned and halved ribs removed if desired
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine, sauce
- lime wedge, for garnish
- avocado, sliced for garnish
- mint sprig (to garnish)
- About 1 hour before serving: Separately, grate peel and squeeze juice from lime & place quail in bowl; toss with lime juice.
- Combine flour, salt and paprika in bag and shake quail.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, in hot vegetable oil, brown quail halves on both sides.
- Arrange in 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Pour white wine over quail. Combine grated lime peel, brown sugar and dried mint; sprinkle over quail.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 to 45 minutes until quail is fork tender,testing often & basting with pan juices frequently while baking.
- To serve, arrange quail on platter. Skim fat from drippings in pan; pour pan juices over quail .
- Garnish with lime wedges, sliced avocado and mint sprigs.
My family really loved this recipe. I used a wine called Colombo marsala (dry).
This was my first time cooking quail, and this was a simple and easy recipe. It came out perfect! Thanks so much for posting this.
Delicious and easy way to prepare game.