Recipe by Peggy L.
This dish is for romance. It takes time to make; however, it is well worth the time for a special occasion.
- 12 roses (preferably red, organic, unsprayed)
- 12 chestnuts
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 drops rose oil
- 2 tablespoons anise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 quail
- 1 pitaya
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown quail in butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove petals from roses and grind with anise in a mortar.
- Separately brown chestnuts in a pan, then remove peels, cover with water and simmer till soft.
- Drain and puree.
- Mince garlic and brown slightly in butter. When transparent, add to chestnut puree along with honey, ground pitaya and rose petals.
- Salt to taste.
- To thicken, use 2 tablespoons corn starch.
- Strain through a fine sieve and add no more than 2 drops of rose oil.
- As soon as all seasonings have been added remove from heat.
- Immerse quail in the sauce for 10 minutes, then remove, drain and place in a 9"x13" baking dish.
- Place in oven preheated to 350F and bake at 350F for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on size of quail.