Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A rich, hearty, Texas red with two of my fave's-Budweiser and Chuck!
- 3 medium onions, finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 3 dried ancho chiles, seeds removed
- 3 dried arbol chilies, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno, whole
- 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles Budweiser beer
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cubed
- 1 lb chuck (chili grind)
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- Boil 2 1/2 cups water and remove from heat. Steep the ancho chilies for 30 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp canola oil to heavy, cast-iron dutch oven. Brown chuck in small batches. Avoid overcrowding as it causes the meat to steam. Set aside. Brown ground chuck. Set aside.
- In same dutch oven, saute' onions, peppers, and garlic until onions become translucent and peppers become tender. Add the cumin and stir for one additional minute.
- Add the Budweiser, sirloin, chuck, beef bouillon, tomatoes, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, 1-2 whole jalapenos, and bay leaves. Stir well. Additional Budweiser may be added if needed to just cover the mixture.
- Place the steeped ancho chilies and it's liquid into a blender and blend well. Add this mixture to the dutch oven.
- Cook low and slow, covered for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Raise the heat and bring to a medium boil. Whisk the 2 tbsp masa harina with cold water and slowly stir mixture into chili. Bring back up to slow boil and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove bay leaves. Allow to set up for at least 30 minutes. Top with finely diced onion and grated sharp cheddar! Enjoy with a cold Budweiser and some great skillet cornbread!
Comfort food at it's finest!!! All the flavors simmered together with a great combination of meat made for the best chili we have ever had!!!
This is a great classic Texas Chili. No beans but full of flavor!