Recipe by One Little Deer
Iranian stew. The main ingredients are a mixture of sauteed herbs, including fenugreek, leek, spring onions, parsley, spinach and cilantro. This mixture is cooked with kidney beans, dried limes, and lamb, beef or chicken. It is best served with Basmati rice and plain or cucumber yogurt. Fresh or dried can be used for the herbs. The best is to buy the mix pre-made at an Iranian grocer.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
This takes a little time and watching, but is a very flavoursome and different stew. I used regular limes, tinned kidney beans, and omitted the meat. As the chef says, watch it to make sure that it does not dry out. When I make again, I will experiment adding a few vegetables, such as carrots or other root vegetables, that I think would go well in this dish. Made for PAC Fall 2007 .. thanks, One Little Deer!
Home-made qormeh sabzi mix (or 1 cup store-bought soaked in 1/2 cup hot water)
- 1 cup fenugreek leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup leek, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 4 cups parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cups cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 onion, finally chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 lb lamb or 1 lb chicken or 1 lb stewing beef, bite sized portions
- 1⁄2 cup kidney bean, cooked
- 2 -3 persian dried limes or 2 -3 fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a food processor process the herbs until very fine. In two of the tbsp of oil cook the Qormeh Sabzi mix, Parsley and Cilantro at high heat. You will see the herbs darken and dry out. The more you cook them the more flavorful they will be. Stir constantly to avoid burning. Once the herbs are darkened and release a flavorful smell, turn off and set aside.
- Cook the onion at medium heat in the oil until golden. Add the chopped meat, browning on all sides. Drain fat if needed. Do not cook all the way, otherwise it will become tough.
- Add the cooked herbs, kidney beans, s/p to taste and 1 cup of water.
- Set the dish to low heat and simmer covered for an hour.
- Punch a hole into each of the Persian Limes. Add the Persian Limes. Simmer for another hour. Watch so the mixture does not dry out. If this happens add another cup of water.
- Serve over Basmati rice.
- Can also make this dish vegan/vegetarian by discarding the meat.