Recipe by Proud Veteran's wife
I submitted this recipe for RSC#12 These little chicken flowers can be used as a whole meal or served as an appetizer. They would be great to serve at a dinner party. With southwestern flavors this is great pared with corn or black beans.
Top Review by Susie D
I thought these were very cute & they would be adorable baked in mini muffin pans for a bite size appetizer tray. I liked the southwest flavors of the chicken mixture. I think one could even add scallions or replace the hot sauce with chipolte if desired. As mentioned by the other reviewers I needed more phyllo. I added several sheets and am glad I did. The flowers ended up crunchy & crisp surrounding the filling. Thank you for your entry!
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce, I used cholula chili garlic flavor
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 5 phyllo pastry sheets, thawed cut into 4-5 inch squares (does not have to be exact)
- cooking spray
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (I use I can't believe it's not butter light or 2 tablespoons margarine, I use I can't believe it's n)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl combine mascarpone, egg white, minced garlic, splenda, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, & hot sauce mix well.
- In the same bowl add chicken and sundried tomatoes. Mix until chicken and tomatoes are coated. Set aside in the fridge.
- In a zip lock bag add Rice Krispies, seal the bag; with a rolling pin or a large hard glass, crunch the Rice Krispies until ground up similar to bread crumbs.
- To the zip lock bag add garlic powder, dried parsley, & 1/4 teaspoon salt mix well with spoon or close the bag and shake until well blended. Set aside.
- In prepared muffin pan layer one square of the Phyllo Sheet in each muffin cup. Spray with cooking spray, then add another layer of the Phyllo Sheet squares, and spray again. Repeat until all of the Phyllo Sheet squares are in each of the muffin cups. Make sure to press against the sides with each layers so you have plenty of room for your filling. It's okay to have the corners of the dough sticking up. It makes them look more like flowers.
- Place a small amount of chicken mixture in each cup until all cups have been filled.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter and add to your prepared Rice Krispies in the zip lock bag. Using a fork or spoon mix the butter with the krispies until well moistened. You can use a separate bowl for this step if you prefer but I like to save on doing extra dishes. When the krispies are moist crumbles spoon over chicken.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
- When finished allow the Chicken Flowers to cool for about 5-10 minutes. Using a fork gently pull the Chicken Flowers out of the muffin pan. Plate and serve!