Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I like Chicken Cordon Bleu... but not as much as it likes to stick to my stomach, rear, and legs. I've created this healthier version to serve instead, and my family really enjoys it. I hope you do too!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices swiss cheese, thin slices
- 4 -8 slices deli ham, thin slices
- salt free herb and spice seasoning mix, we use Mrs. Dash Table Blend
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butterfly each chicken breast (cut it length wise with out cutting all the way through). Open it up and sprinkle the inside of the chicken with seasoning mix (Mrs. Dash).
- Place one slice of cheese inside each of the chicken breasts along with 1-2 slices of ham. I like to fold the cheese in half so it fits better in the chicken and is not hanging out.
- Sprinkle a little bit of the 1 teaspoon of garlic on each folded combo of ham & cheese. Then fold the chicken over to close like a packet. Secure the chicken roll closed by using a toothpick.
- Sprinkle seasoning mix on outside of chicken (I also like to sprinkle the bottom as well). Place in an oven safe dish and cover with foil.
- Bake chicken for 30-40 minutes or until fully cooked.
- To get a nice golden brown color you can remove the foil after 15-20 minutes or so. Or you can broil the tops for 3-6 minutes when chicken is fully cooked.
GREAT twist on an old favorite! I added a little honey mixed with some plain mustard and rubbed it on the inside of the chicken. I also coupled the ham with roast beef, thanks Nelly Vanilly for the tip! This will be a family favorite.
Marvelous! DH and I really enjoyed this healthier version, I used low fat swiss and low fat ham. I cooked it for a 1/2 hour covered w/foil and 10 minutes uncovered and it came out perfect, thanks PVW!
This recipe was really awesome:) I added low fat cream cheese and spread it and rubbed inside the chicken breasts before putting in the low fat cheese and Roast Beef-i substituted the Ham with roast beef- i also rubbed a little of the low fat cream cheese on the outside of the chicken. I sprinkled also some rosemary. It turned ouT AMAZING!!! my husband loved it, thanks alot for sharing :)