1/2 Photos of Puzzle Cookies
This recipe was designed for Halloween but would work for any holiday or event with a change of cookie cutters. I think that the kids will LOVE this! This will make 6 "assembled" cookies out of the purchased but you can always share the "pieces". The colors are optional to use as and if you desire.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium bowl knead flour into sugar cookie dough.
- 2Divide dough into 6 (or more) portions.
- 3On an ungreased cookie sheet, roll each portion into a 5-inch square.
- 4Press a well-floured 3- to 4-inch Halloween cookie cutter into the square (use smaller cutters, if desired).
- 5Carefully remove cookie cutter without removing dough.
- 6Using a table knife, cut outside portion of square into large puzzle pieces.
- 7In a small mixing bowl beat egg yolks and water.
- 8Divide mixture among 3 or 4 small bowls.
- 9In each bowl, add 2 to 3 drops of liquid food coloring or desired amount of paste food coloring in desired color; mix well.
- 10Brush dough puzzle pieces with different colors of egg yolk mixture.
- 11Apply to cookie dough with small clean paintbrush.
- 12If mixture thickens while standing, stir in water, one drop at a time.
- 13Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until bottoms of cookies just start to brown and centers are set.
- 14While still warm, carefully recut pieces with the knife.
- 15Trim edges as needed.
- 16Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool completely.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Puzzle Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (584 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.2
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 87.6 mg
- Sodium 361.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 18.3 g
- Protein 4.9 g