Prep 25 mins
Cook 7 mins
This recipe was designed for Halloween but would work for any holiday or event with a change of cookie cutters. I think that the kids will LOVE this! This will make 6 "assembled" cookies out of the purchased but you can always share the "pieces". The colors are optional to use as and if you desire.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 18 ounces roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough (or use your favorite sugar cookie recipe)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons water
- food coloring
- In a medium bowl knead flour into sugar cookie dough.
- Divide dough into 6 (or more) portions.
- On an ungreased cookie sheet, roll each portion into a 5-inch square.
- Press a well-floured 3- to 4-inch Halloween cookie cutter into the square (use smaller cutters, if desired).
- Carefully remove cookie cutter without removing dough.
- Using a table knife, cut outside portion of square into large puzzle pieces.
- In a small mixing bowl beat egg yolks and water.
- Divide mixture among 3 or 4 small bowls.
- In each bowl, add 2 to 3 drops of liquid food coloring or desired amount of paste food coloring in desired color; mix well.
- Brush dough puzzle pieces with different colors of egg yolk mixture.
- Apply to cookie dough with small clean paintbrush.
- If mixture thickens while standing, stir in water, one drop at a time.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until bottoms of cookies just start to brown and centers are set.
- While still warm, carefully recut pieces with the knife.
- Trim edges as needed.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool completely.
A wonderful way to prepare a present!<br/>I prepared the dough the evening before and I tried to prepare this just after preparing the dough.<br/>I realized that the dough was too fresh the pieces grew too much and the edges were not clear.<br/>I rolled out two other pieces of dough, placed on a tray in the fridge and I went sleep.<br/>The morning after (today) I cut the first piece (this was the upper tray and the surface was little dry), painted and baked (this came out perfect). In the meantime the second sheet of the dought came to temperature (the surface was not dry) and I had the problem as with the piece I prepared the evening before but not a much.<br/>This means: best roll out and refrigerate overnight. If possible the surface may be little dry.<br/>Cut only if still cold and stiff! Work fast, paint it and bake it!<br/>Thanks a lot Annacia, this was a great experience. I will prepare some more for gifts!
What a fun cookie to make! I used a package sugar cookie mix since I couldn't get refrigerator dough. Be sure to use a simple cookie cutter for your design. If it's too detailed it may be difficult to cut around the edges of the pieces without breaking them. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.