Recipe by MarieRynr
We love this cake. A good old fashioned recipe with lots of taste. More like a bar than a cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄4 cup softened butter
- 1⁄2 cup cut up dates
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- To make filling, combine dates, coconut and nuts.
- Whip egg whites until stiff and add sugar and vanilla.
- Fold in date mixture.
- Mix together flour, sugar and butter until crumbly.
- Set aside one half of the crumb mixture.
- Spread remaining crumb mixture in an 8 X 12 inch pan and pat down.
- Bake in a 350*F oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread on filling.
- Sprinkle reserved crumbs on top.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes.