Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the kitchen of Rose Elliot, vegetarian cookery writer. Preparation time includes 40 minutes for cooking the puy lentils. However for those in a hurry, canned green lentils can be used.
- 100 g puy lentils, dried or 425 g canned green lentils
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the lentils in plenty of boiling water until tender (about 40 minutes).
- Hard-boil the eggs by simmering them in a pan of boiling water for 7-10 minutes. Then drain them, cover with cold water and leave to cool.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic then cover and cook gently for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Ad the ground coriander to the onion and garlic, stirring for 1-2 minutes, then put in the lentils and leave to cook very gently until the lentils are thoroughly heated. Meanwhile, shell the hard-boiled eggs, rinse them under cold water, then slice them.
- Add the chopped fresh coriander to the lentil mixture, taste and season with pepper and salt. Serve the eggs and lentils together wither mixing them into the lentil mixture or arranging them around it attractively.