Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is taken from a food magazine in Indonesia. Very easy yet tasty.. I used to make these cakes at home, and now, every time I make it, they remind me of my home. :)
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon green food coloring
- 1⁄3 cup desiccated coconut, soak in water to moisten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Grease 15 cupcake moulds.
- Using an electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs on high speed until pale and creamy.
- Fold in quarter of the coconut milk, quarter of the flour, then stir gently to combine. Repeat this step until all milk and flour are folded inches.
- Fold in the food coloring and stir to combine.
- Put 2-3 tbs of dessicated coconut into each mould, press firmly into base.
- Fill the moulds with batter until full.
- Place in a saucepan half-filled with hot water, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, then steam for 35-50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- When the cakes are cooked, leave to stand for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of each mould, then ease the pudding out onto a serving plate.
My DH liked these because he loves coconut. I thought they were really easy to make and reminded me of some asian desserts I had before in Hawaii when I was a kid. I used regular coconut in the bag that they sell here. So they were probably a little sweeter than should be. Made for PAC Fall 09.