I love this sauce - it has a nice bite to it and is a nice change from marinara.
Make and share this Puttanesca Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 2 (28 ounce) cansroma plum tomatoes, broken into pieces, with juice
- 1 cup tightly packed pitted and halved kalamata olive
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons minced anchovy fillets (about 8 fillets)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb hearty pasta, cooked to al dente (spaghetti, linguine, penne, etc.)
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and lightly caramelized, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the remaining ingredients and simmer until the sauce is thickened and slightly reduced, about 40 minutes. Adjust seasoning, to taste, cover and set aside. Add pasta to the pan and toss for 1 minute.