Recipe by Mamma Bug
I got this recipe from Robin Miller on the Food Network. I did tweak it a bit to my taste. I love her show, hope you like this as much as we did!! By the way, I had never made lasagna before and it turned out GREAT!! I never knew you could make lasagna without boiling the noodles first! What a time saver.
Top Review by DuChick
Mmmm wonderful! I'm from the old-school of boiling those noodles first, but had to give this a go. Besides a little overflow in the oven, this is perfection! I did take a few liberties and used whole wheat noodles, crushed tomatoes rather than diced and instead of ricotta I used fat free cottage cheese. We're just not ricotta fans here and cottage cheese has always served as a suitable substituion. I also used 2% mozzarella. Very gooey and cheesey, like a good lasagna should be! MERP'd for my adopted chef in Fall Pick a Chef 09.
- 1⁄3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to your liking)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 0.5 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- salt and black pepper
- 3 cups ricotta cheese (regular or part-skim)
- 16 ounces grated mozzarella cheese, divided (regular or part-skim)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lasagna Sauce:
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add beef, season with salt and pepper, then brown.
- Stir in basil, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cheese Filling:.
- In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, 2/3 of the mozzarella, egg, and black pepper.
- Mix well.
- Putting it together:.
- Pour 1 cup of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch lasagna pan.
- Arrange 4 UNCOOKED lasagna noodles on top of sauce, overlapping noodles slightly to cover the bottom.
- Spoon half of the cheese mixture over noodles.
- Cover cheese mixture with 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce and 4 more noodles.
- Top second layer of noodles with remaining cheese mixture, 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce and 4 more noodles.
- Top noodles with 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes, until top is golden and bubbly.
- Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.