Recipe by Lavender Lynn
This is to die for!!!! All the best of a great Italian Cannoli combined with extra creamy Italian Gelato!!!! Purrrrfectly heaven!!! Serve in a bowl with wafer cookies or try it in cannoli shells, or even a sugar waffle cone!! Made for the Zaar World Tour 4 by the Cookin Cats. Modern Czechs, Italians, and Greeks see Almonds as good luck and long life--and give out the nuts at weddings When you say italian dessert 2 things come to mind: cannoli and gelato. We combined the gelato with the wonderful ingredients from the filling from cannoli: mascarpone, marashino cherries, and pcs of chocolate. Cooking time does not include the refrigeration time.
Top Review by NurseJaney
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap #30* had REALLY high hopes, since we were recently in Sicily -- eating LOTSA gelato. Surely NOT the fault of the recipe -- very tasty, made as directed, but halved. I have an electric counter-top dessert freezer, where the base is left in the freezer overnight, then hand-cranked or motor-driven to freeze the contents. I THOUGHT about freezing the milk ingredients BEFORE adding the fruit and chocolate bits -- but didn't !! As soon as I poured the entire bowl of ALL ingredients into the freezer pack ---SURPRISE !! All the solids went immediately to the bottom and froze SOLID before I could get the paddles in motion !! DH and I worked to free the cream, but finally put all the semi-frozen mass in the freezer for a few hours. We need to master the mechanics -- but the proportions were very good -- if a tad sweet. I would like to do this again with coffee/cocoa ! Thanks, Lynn -- for posting !
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, chopped finely
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, chopped finely and roasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, cream, and sugar.
- Cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a simmer, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla.
- Let cool on counter 30 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Stir in mascarpone, mix until smooth(I used a potato masher to make sure it was mixed well.).
- Add chocolate chips, cherries, and almonds.
- Transfer to ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.