Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is to die for!!!!! All the best of a great Italian Cannoli combined with extra creamy Italian Gelato!!!! Purrrrfectly heaven!!! Serve in a bowl with wafer cookies, or try it in cannoli shells, or even a sugar waffle cone. Made for Zaar World Tour 4 by the Cookin Cats. Cooking time does not include refrigeration time. Edited on 7/26/10 to change the ratio of 3 C. milk to 1 C. cream
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry, chopped finely
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, chopped finely and toasted
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, cream, and sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla.
- Let cool for 30 minutes on counter.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Stir in mascarpone until mixed well.( I used my potato masher to make sure mascarpone was as mixed up as possible).
- Add chocolate chips, cherries, and almonds.
- Transfer to ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
I did as everybody else before and used 3 milk and 1 heavy cream and it came out great. I did a small trick to incorporate the mascarpone in the milk: I plaed the mascarpone in a min blender, added one cup of milk turned it on until it was well mixed and without lumps. then returned the mixture to the milk and all was fine!
When I first tasted this coming out of the ice cream freezer the almond was very dominant but after refreezing it was fine. Yes I know it is rich but maybe just a little chocolate syrup over it. I was going to do this but forgot...Put the mascarpone cheese in the mixer mix well then add 1 cup of milk mixture mix well. But I forgot, maybe next time to see if this will help with the clumps. I made this for *Zaar World Tour 4* 2008 the Wild Card round *Italy* the * Italian Frozen Dessert TEAM Challenge * I'm playing on the team *Tastebud Tickling Travelers* Go team go!
What a great combination of flavours! I also made it a bit lighter by adding 1 cup cream and 3 cups of milk. I also didn't have any mascarpone so used cream cheese which worked very well. The little bit of juice from the maraschino cherries gave the ice cream a slightly pink colour which was quite pretty. This gelato was thouroughly enjoyed. Thanks Cookin' Cats!