Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is to die for!!!!! All the best of a great Italian Cannoli combined with extra creamy Italian Gelato!!!! Purrrrfectly heaven!!! Serve in a bowl with wafer cookies, or try it in cannoli shells, or even a sugar waffle cone. Made for Zaar World Tour 4 by the Cookin Cats. Cooking time does not include refrigeration time. Edited on 7/26/10 to change the ratio of 3 C. milk to 1 C. cream
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry, chopped finely
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, chopped finely and toasted
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, cream, and sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla.
- Let cool for 30 minutes on counter.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Stir in mascarpone until mixed well.( I used my potato masher to make sure mascarpone was as mixed up as possible).
- Add chocolate chips, cherries, and almonds.
- Transfer to ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
I did as everybody else before and used 3 milk and 1 heavy cream and it came out great. I did a small trick to incorporate the mascarpone in the milk: I plaed the mascarpone in a min blender, added one cup of milk turned it on until it was well mixed and without lumps. then returned the mixture to the milk and all was fine!
Holy Cannoli! (Sorry, had to do it) This came out tasting SOOOO good!<br/><br/>Instead of almonds, I used finely crushed pistachios (in keeping with tradition)
Great dessert with our Italian meal. I did use fresh bing cherries but it was still great. We have lots left so will have it again soon.