Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have two pounds of purple potatoes from our local co-op and wanted to find some recipes to use them in. This recipe is from eatingoutloud.com and I will be making it soon.
- 354.88 ml milk
- 14.79 ml butter
- 29.58 ml flour
- 158.51 ml cheddar cheese, grated
- 907.18 g purple potatoes, unpeeled and sliced thinly
- 236.59 ml shallot, sliced
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4 slice bacon
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Begin by making the gratin sauce. In a small pan place the butter and melt. Over medium heat add the flour and stir to combine, approximately one minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and stir until thickened. Add cheese and when melted remove pan from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan and heat. Add shallots and saute until slightly brown and caramelized. Remove from the pan and set aside. Place bacon in same skillet and cook through but do not let bacon get crispy. Remove from pan and cut into one inch pieces.
- Grease a gratin dish or shallow baking dish and add one half of the sliced potatoes. Sprinkle the shallots over the potatoes and then add the remaining potato slices. Pour the gratin sauce over the potatoes and spoon into visible cracks and crevices. Top with parmesan cheese and bacon. Bake for 40 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. Serve immediately.
Nice side dish. We had it with Gorgonzola Stuffed Chicken Breasts Wrapped in Bacon. Great combination.