Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 10 cups popped popcorn (remove all unpopped kernels)
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package grape gelatin
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 3 drops blue food coloring (optional)
- Place the popcorn in a greased 17x12x2-inch baking dish. Keep popcorn warm in a 300 degree oven while making syrup mixture. In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine butter, sugar, gelatin, water,food coloring and corn syrup. Cook mixture over medium heat until it boils, stirring constantly. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the thermometer reaches 255 degrees (hard-ball stage).
- Pour syrup mixture over popcorn. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 5 minutes.
- Stir once and bake 5 minutes longer. Place popcorn mixture onto a large piece of foil. Cool completely. Break popcorn mixture into clusters. Store.
- in an airtight container. Serves 14-16 children. (Can used any flavor of gelatin).
Sorry, this was just okay. Everyone requested that next time I just make my regular carmel corn. After stirring for 30 min. that wasn't exactly the reaction I was going for. It was okay but I probably won't be making it again.