1/1 Photo of Purple Majesty Fork-Crushed Potatoes
I scored on 'Purple Majesty' potatoes last weekend at the local farmer's market. Here is a very simple recipe from Chef Michael Anthony via smittenkitten.com. From the site: "There’s a new potato in town, and not only is its flesh a rakish shade of purple that even Prince might find a little loud, but it’s also really good for you. The potato was developed last year by Colorado growers using natural cross-breeding techniques that somehow resulted in a superspud containing freakishly high amounts of antioxidants." There's a surprise in store for you, too...read on...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb purple majesty potato, washed, scrubbed and peeled (cut in half or quartered depending on size)
- 2 -3 shallots, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (cut in half-add more in you want)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped (curly parsley ok)
- fleur de sel, to taste
- cracked white pepper or cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1Note: If you prefer, the potatoes can be boiled first in their skin then peeled.
- 2Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the potatoes until tender, approximately 25 minutes.
- 4Place the potatoes back in the pot and using a fork, mash the potatoes.
- 5Fold in the remaining ingredients, sprinkling the lemon juice on top of the potatoes last.
- 6Did you notice what happened? The citric acid in the lemon juice "bleached" some areas of the potatoes a "lighter and brighter" shade of purple! Nifty, huh?!
- 7This concludes this week's science experiment.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Purple Majesty Fork-Crushed Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.3
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 2.6 g