Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great recipe that I've had for a long time; however, the original called for black eyed peas. You can substitute them in this recipe if you like, but to me, the fresh purple hull peas gives it a better flavor.
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup cornmeal (not self-rising)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup creamed corn
- 2 cups purple hull peas, cooked (or you can substitute cooked black eyed peas)
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, grated
- Brown sausage and onions in a medium skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal and all other dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk and oil together, then add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients.
- To this mixture, in the large bowl, add the cooked sausage and onions and stir well.
- Then, add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour this into a 13 X 9 inch, lightly greased, baking dish and bake at 350°F degrees for 50-55 minutes.
- If you would like, sprinkle a little more cheese on top for garnish before serving.