1 hr 15 mins
This is a great recipe that I've had for a long time; however, the original called for black eyed peas. You can substitute them in this recipe if you like, but to me, the fresh purple hull peas gives it a better flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup cornmeal (not self-rising)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup creamed corn
- 2 cups purple hull peas, cooked (or you can substitute cooked black eyed peas)
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 1Brown sausage and onions in a medium skillet.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal and all other dry ingredients and mix well.
- 3In a small bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk and oil together, then add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients.
- 4To this mixture, in the large bowl, add the cooked sausage and onions and stir well.
- 5Then, add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- 6Pour this into a 13 X 9 inch, lightly greased, baking dish and bake at 350°F degrees for 50-55 minutes.
- 7If you would like, sprinkle a little more cheese on top for garnish before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Purple Hull Pea Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 644.5
- Calories from Fat 326
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 124.7 mg
- Sodium 1036.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 30.6 g