Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posting this to save it- have not made it yet (but will soon!). From Karina's Kitchen _http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/03/purple-cabbage-sunbutter-soup.html Looks tasty! I bet you can sub out the sunbutter for peanut butter (I'm going to).
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry paste
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, diced
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 head purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup roasted green chili
- 3 cups light vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seed butter (aka Sunbutter)
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 fresh lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar, if it needs it
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in large soup pot. Add the curry paste and stir for a minute to infuse the oil with spice. Add the onion, garlic, sweet potato, cabbage, chiles or yellow pepper.
- Stir and cook the veggies for 5 -7 minutes, until softened.
- Add the broth, sunflower seed butter, coconut milk, red pepper flakes and cilantro.
- Bring the soup to a high simmer, cover, and lower the heat; keep the soup on simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and taste test for seasoning adjustments. Add a little agave or organic brown sugar, if needed, to balance the heat. Season with sea salt and ground pepper, to taste. Taste again. Warm through.
- Serve piping hot with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro.