Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cooking Light, JULY 2009
- 255.14 g all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 59.14 ml chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 158.51 ml chopped fresh purple basil
- 118.29 ml finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 158.51 ml nonfat milk
- 1 large egg
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in basil and cheese. Combine milk and egg in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Turn dough out onto a floured surface; pat to 1-inch-thick circle. Cut with a 2-inch biscuit cutter into 12 biscuits.
- Place biscuits on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool.
I just made these. I actually only had about 1/4 cup basil and I thought it was a good amount. I think I probably would not have liked them very much if I had used the full amount of basil, as the flavor would have been very strong. I also felt that these were very salty. I'm just not sure I can cut back on the salt and still have them come out right... I don't have enough baking expertise to know how adjustments to ingredient quantities affect a recipe.