Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is another one of Alan's mom's recipes from Louisiana. She is one of the best cooks I ever had the pleasure of sharing a kitchen with. This is also a great dish for me because it's not spicy. If it's the main dish, it will serve 4, side dish, 6-8.
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced okra
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb shrimp, cooked
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- Cook bacon over medium heat in large skillet until brown; drain fat, leaving about 1/2 tablespoons
- Stir in onion, pepper, okra and garlic; saute 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add the shrimp; continue cooking 3 minutes.
- Add rice, tomato, thyme, salt, and basil. Heat thoroughly.