Recipe by Mirj
Purim is coming up, a time to exchange yummy gifts of food. This one is always a favorite with our family.
Top Review by Chef Kate
Excellent candy! For me, using a silpat made it quite easy. I just poured the crystallized nuts onto the mat, popped the mat into the oven--let nuts cool on the mat. I slid the cooled nuts off the mat into the bowl of melted chocolate, mixed to coat, then poured the now chocolate covered nuts back onto the mat, and let them cool in the fridge. This time I used whole almonds. I look forward to trying this with other varieties of nuts. Thanks, Mirj!
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 12 ounces chocolate (can use chocolate chips)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy sauce pan, boil almond slivers, sugar and water over low to medium heat until all the water is gone and the sugar crystallizes on the nuts.
- Pour almond slivers out onto a well-greased baking sheet.
- Separate clumps with a greased fork.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven about 15 minutes.
- Be careful not to burn.
- Melt chocolate over low heat with constant stirring.
- When candied almonds have cooled, dip into melted chocolate.
- Place on foil to set.