Recipe by bbgrl79ca
A high fiber recipe from the "Healthy Vegetarian Cookery" cookbook by Nicole Oakley
- 100 g whole wheat flour
- 100 g plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 25 g polyunsaturated margarine, melted
- 150 ml water, about
- oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl and return bran in the sieve to the bowl.
- Make a hollow in the center and pour in the melted margarine.
- Add the water gradually, kneading the mixture, until a firm dough is formed.
- Continue to knead for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll each into a thin circle 10-13 cm (4-5 inch) in diameter.
- Heat the oil to hot and fry the puris, one at a time.
- After a few seconds the puris will puff up.
- Press down with a fish slice or the back of a spoon.
- When the puris are crisp and golden, remove from the oil and drain on absorbent kitchen papertowel.
- Serve hot.
- VARIATION: To make coctail puris, break off small pieces of dough and roll into circle 4 cm (1-1/2 inch) in diameter.
- As soon as they are cooked, sprinkle with sesame salt or celery salt.