Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found the base for this Pumpkin Bread Recipe in an old Southern Living Cookbook. My 'Mom's Banana Bread' Recipe has a little 'secret' tip to making it so great - (seperating the eggs and beating the whites...). So, I put 2 and 2 together, and oila! Also, I like the rich spiciness that should accompany pumpkin dishes - thus I added the chinese 5 spice, makes it that much better! This is a great Fall / Holiday Bread -- I think you'll agree.
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups pumpkin, canned
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon flax seed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup pecans (optional) or 2⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup dried cranberries (optional) or 2⁄3 cup raisins (optional)
- *Cream together oil & sugars at medium speed with an electric hand mixer.
- *Add egg yolks - one at a time, beating after each addition.
- *Stir in canned pumpkin, water, & milk.
- *Combine flour & the next 5 ingredients in a separate mixing bowl, and add to the creamed mixture, a little at a time – mixing well.
- *Add in Vanilla and the flax seed, - blend.
- *Meanwhile, beat the egg whites with hand mixer until stiff, (make sure to use clean beaters), whites will form meringue peaks.
- *Next, gently stir in dried raisins or cranberries, and nuts into the batter.
- *Fold the meringue gently into the pumpkin bread batter.
- *Spoon batter into greased & floured loaf pans.
- *Bake at 350° for 1 hour, or until a toothpick when inserted in the center of the loaves, comes out clean.
- *Cool loaves on wire racks.
The beaten egg whites do keep this light and I really liked the 5-spice powder-I even think I would add more of that and less cinnamon! Made with pecans. I omitted the flax seed, as I was out, but it think it would be a nice addition. I used dried cranberries. Very tasty and moist bread.