Recipe by Bev
In my opinion the fresh and simple is best when considering a guacamole recipe. I know lots of recipes add lots of peppers and spices to doctor the flavor. But I like the flavors of the vegetables to highlight my guacamole. I found this recipe in the September issue of Saveur Magazine. It originally comes from Rosa Mexicano Restaurant in New York City, where the guacamole is prepared fresh at your table side using a traditional molcajete (a mortar made of volcanic rock). In preparing this recipe, if you do not have a molcajete, you can use a mortar and pestle, or a bowl and the back tines of a fork to combine ingredients, which will work just as well. I love this recipe and it has become my favorite. I hope you will enjoy it, too!
Top Review by cookiedog
This is a great recipe for Guacamole. I had avocados that were just barely ripe so this recipe worked perfectly for them. I used a mortar and pestle to grind the onion,cilantro, chiles and salt which worked really well. Great recipe BEV.
- 4 tablespoons white onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped and firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons fresh jalapenos, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium ripe Hass avocadoes (about 8 oz each)
- 3 tablespoons tomatoes, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind 1 TBS finely chopped white onion, 1 firmly packed TBS chopped fresh cilantro, 2 tsp finely chopped jalapeno, and 1 tsp salt in a molcajete until all ingredients are well ground.
- TIP: Alternatively, use a fork to mash ingredients into a paste in a wide bowl. (I use a nice sized mortar and pestle.).
- Cut 3 medium-ripe hass avocados (about 8 oz each) in half.
- Twist the halves to separate them and remove the pit with the tip of the knife.
- Place an avocado half, cut side up, in the palm of your hand and make 3 or 4 evenly spaced lengthwise cuts through its flesh down to the skin, without cutting through the skin.
- Make 4 cross-wise cuts in the same fashion.
- Scoop the diced avocado flesh into the molcajete.
- Repeat with remaining avocado halves.
- Gently fold the avocado into the chile-onion paste, keeping the avocado pieces fairly in tact.
- Add 3 TBS diced tomato, 2 firmly packed TBS chopped fresh cilantro, and 1 TBS finely chopped white onion.
- Fold together all the ingredients.
- Taste and add salt, if desired.
- Serve immediately, directly from molcajete (or bowl), with tortilla chips.