1/1 Photo of Purely Simple Guacamole
In my opinion the fresh and simple is best when considering a guacamole recipe. I know lots of recipes add lots of peppers and spices to doctor the flavor. But I like the flavors of the vegetables to highlight my guacamole. I found this recipe in the September issue of Saveur Magazine. It originally comes from Rosa Mexicano Restaurant in New York City, where the guacamole is prepared fresh at your table side using a traditional molcajete (a mortar made of volcanic rock). In preparing this recipe, if you do not have a molcajete, you can use a mortar and pestle, or a bowl and the back tines of a fork to combine ingredients, which will work just as well. I love this recipe and it has become my favorite. I hope you will enjoy it, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grind 1 TBS finely chopped white onion, 1 firmly packed TBS chopped fresh cilantro, 2 tsp finely chopped jalapeno, and 1 tsp salt in a molcajete until all ingredients are well ground.
- 2TIP: Alternatively, use a fork to mash ingredients into a paste in a wide bowl. (I use a nice sized mortar and pestle.).
- 3Cut 3 medium-ripe hass avocados (about 8 oz each) in half.
- 4Twist the halves to separate them and remove the pit with the tip of the knife.
- 5Place an avocado half, cut side up, in the palm of your hand and make 3 or 4 evenly spaced lengthwise cuts through its flesh down to the skin, without cutting through the skin.
- 6Make 4 cross-wise cuts in the same fashion.
- 7Scoop the diced avocado flesh into the molcajete.
- 8Repeat with remaining avocado halves.
- 9Gently fold the avocado into the chile-onion paste, keeping the avocado pieces fairly in tact.
- 10Add 3 TBS diced tomato, 2 firmly packed TBS chopped fresh cilantro, and 1 TBS finely chopped white onion.
- 11Fold together all the ingredients.
- 12Taste and add salt, if desired.
- 13Serve immediately, directly from molcajete (or bowl), with tortilla chips.
Browse Our Top South American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Purely Simple Guacamole
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.8
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 592.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 2.7 g