Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 potatoes, peeled & diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- GARNISH: minced fresh parsley, dash of paprika, minced fresh chives, grated cheese, sliced almonds, or finely diced sweet red peppers, opt.
- In Dutch oven or 4-5 qt saucepan, place potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, stock, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat, and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes. (The potatoes must be fully cooked to thicken the soup properly.) While the soup is simmering, steam the broccoli florets.
- When the simmered vegetables are tender, transfer it and broth to food processor, and process till smooth.
- Return pureed soup mixture to pan.
- Stir in broccoli florets.
- In a measuring cup, combine remaining ingredients.
- Add to soup and heat; do not allow mixture to boil.
- Top each serving with garnish if desired.
- Variations: - substitute 2 cups steamed chopped carrots, or 2 cups steamed