Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This soup can either be made vegetarian or with chicken broth. It is a different twist on Mexican soup, but is easy and delicious. This doesn't make much, so you will probably need to double the recipe for company.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 -2 serrano chili, minced
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces water
- 4 corn tortillas, diced
- salt, as needed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fried corn tortilla strips
- In a large saucepan or other cooking vessel put 1 diced oion, 1-2 minced green chilies and 3 Table. oil. Stir-fry over medium heat until the onion has browned on the edges.
- Add 2 diced tomatoes, 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro, 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken or vegetable broth, water, and 4 diced corn tortillas. You can also just tear the corn tortilla's into pieces with your hands if desired. Increase heat to high, bring mixture to a boil, lower heat and cook 10-15 more minutes. Set aside for about 10 minutes to allow the soup to cool somewhat.
- Puree the mixture in batches in a food processor or blender.
- Return mixture to the stove top and reheat. Check for salt.
- Ladle into bowls and if desired, garnish with diced avocado, grated cheese and fried corn tortilla strips.
Awesome pureed tortilla soup! I was craving such a soup after having some at BJ's Brewery. Found this recipe and went for it with a few minor adjustments: 1) I used a 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes instead of 2 fresh. 2) I used a 7 oz. can of diced green, fire roasted chiles in addition to 2 serranos.. HOWEVER... I would recommend using ONLY the green chiles and 1 or no serranos, as this was WAY to spicy for me, and I love and eat a LOT of very spicy foods. 3) I did not have any corn tortillas on hand, so I used a couple of Tbs. of masa harina, instead. What a flavorful and filling soup! So good. Not sure if it was exactly the same as teh BJ's version (too spicy to tell! haha), but it was so delicious, it doesn't even matter!