Another pureed soup for my husband on liquids after a few tooth extractions. :-) This one is based on one of his favorite curries, parappu - the south Indian equivalent of dahl or sambar. He wasn't allowed spicy foods, so I've swapped paprika for curry powder. If you're really adventurous, dry-roast whole spices in a skillet on very low heat until you can just start to smell the aroma and grind them in a coffee grinder instead of using bottled pre-ground spices. You can get indian curry leaves fresh in most indian stores and freeze them airtight until use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup red lentil, washed
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 7 indian curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons yogurt (optional)
- 1In a soup pot on medium heat, add lentils, potatoes, bouillon and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- 2Add the tomatoes, onions, garlic, curry leaves and spices.
- 3Simmer gently for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 4Remove from heat and remove curry leaves. Rinse leaves and set aside.
- 5Blend to desired consistency.
- 6If using a standalone blender, return pureed soup to pot and warm gently over low heat. If using an immersion blender, feel free to skip this step.
- 7Ladle soup in bowls and drizzle each serving with yogurt, if using. Garnish with curry leaves.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pureed Indian Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon cubes