Recipe by jojomojo
This is a combination of a variety of soup recipes I found online that all used celery root--my new favorite vegetable. Perfect for a winter day.
- 1 purple onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 celeriac, bulb (celery root)
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 garnet yam
- 2 yukon gold potatoes
- 5 carrots
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, add diced onion to butter and olive oil. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic cloves and heat an additional minute.
- Add the root vegetables, peeled and cubed, to the soup pot. Cover and heat on medium for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat stock and water to boiling. Add to soup pot with the bay leaf, black pepper, and salt.
- Cover pot and simmer on medium low for 1.5 hours (or until a fork easily pierces the vegetables).
- Remove bay leaf. Using a blender or immersion hand blender, puree soup mix.
- Alternative: My son prefers this soup in an non-pureed form. In that version, I cube the vegetables much smaller (about 1/2" cubes vs. the roughly 1 1/2" cubes I use for the pureed version). I reduce the cooking time to about 45 minutes, and add cooked egg noodles at the end for a brothy noodle soup. I also sometimes add small meatballs made out of ground turkey.
- For Vegetarian or Vegan use Vegetable broth.