Recipe by anonymous
Tried this from a soup cookbook-very good creamy tomato soup, but it should be named Tomato Basil Soup. I did not put the lettuce in and would suggest cutting back on the basil and garnish with green onions. DO NOT refrigerate with bacon left in soup--alters the taste!
Top Review by Chef Seb
Brilliant recipe, My wife has had bariatric surgery so I adjusted slightly, I added the bacon peices to the soup during the simmer stage, pureed all of it with a hand hold blender while still warm, and omitted the lettuce (pureed lettuce did not sound too appealing to the wife!!!)
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 celery (chopped)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups beef broth (almost 2 cans)
- 2 tablespoons basil (chopped or dried)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- green onion (garnish) (optional)
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut up bacon and cook in large pan until crisp and transfer bacon to paper towels.
- Add carrots, onion, celery and garlic to drippings and saute over medium heat for about 8 mins, until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, basil, salt, sugar, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool--very important.
- Transfer cooled soup (do not want it steamy or the lid will fly off) to a blender and puree.
- Return to pan and cook over med heat for 5 minutes Stir in lettuce and cook 1 min or until wilted.
- Garnish with bacon and green onions.