From http://laylita.com/recipes/2009/03/13/ripe-plantain-puree/ This puree is used as a side dish to plate lamb shanks in.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 plantains, extremely ripe black skinned, washed well and cut in half (leave the skin on)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water or 2 cups broth from the plantains
- 3/4 cup butter, about 6 oz
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon achiote, ground
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1Boil the plantains for 30 minutes.
- 2Let me them cool down until safe to handle.
- 3Meanwhile prepare a refrito, heat the butter over medium heat, add the onions, garlic and spices, cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- 4Peel the boiled ripe plantains.
- 5Working in batches, put the plantains, water, milk and refrito in a blender and mix until a smooth puree is obtained.
- 6Transfer the puree to a pan and heat over medium low until warm.
- 7Serve as a side dish for meat dishes, can also be served alone with crumbled cheese, sautéed bacon, chorizo or caramelized onions as toppings.
Browse Our Top Tropical Fruits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tropical Fruits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pure De Platanos Maduros - Ripe Plantain Puree
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.0
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 54.2 mg
- Sodium 161.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 21.0 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: