Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 300 g channa dal
- 300 g jaggery (molasses)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- water (to knead dough)
- ghee (to serve)
- Boil dal in plenty of water till soft but not broken.
- Drain in a colander for 10-15 minutes.
- Pass through an almond grater little by little till all dal is grated.
- Mash jaggery till lumps break.
- Mix well into dal.
- Put mixture in a heavy saucepan and cook till a soft lump is formed Take care to stir continuously, so as not to charr.
- Keep aside.
- Mix ghee, flour, add enough water to make a soft pliable dough.
- Take a morsel sized ball of dough, roll into a 4" round.
- Place same sized ball of filling in centre, life all round and seal.
- Reroll carefully to a 6" diameter round.
- Roast on warm griddle till golden brown.
- Repeat other side.
- Take on serving plate.
- Apply a teaspoon of ghee all over top.
- OR Shallow fry on griddle like a paratha for a better flavour.
- But this method will consume more ghee and therefore calories.
- Serve hot with dal or amti.
- Note: The water drained from boiling dal is used to make the amti (a thin curry made using black masala, garam masala and some mashed dal).