Recipe by Chef Mommie
My DIL introduced me to these. She is more crazy about them than I am, but thought I would post. An El Salvador Recipe-
Top Review by cookiedog
My BF loved these! They are very filling, but it is hard to stop eating them even when you are full. I burned the first one (just like pancakes) and had to throw it away but once I got the griddle on medium they came out nice. I made the first ones as directed but then found it easier to make a large dimple in the dough ball with my thumb, place the cheese in it, and then pinch it closed and roll out into a circle. These came out a little thinner. I also got a little work out kneading the dough for 20 minutes so next time I might use my kitchen aide. These were a fun recipe to make! Thank you Forgiven!
- 4 cups masa harina
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons shortening (not oil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1⁄2 lb muenster cheese (shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Cut shortening into dry ingredients with pastry blender.
- Add warm water a few drops at a time until dough is manageable.
- Knead dough 15-20 times.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Form dough into balls the size of an egg.
- Roll out until 6 inches in diameter.
- Add some of the cheese to the top of one tortilla and then add another tortilla on top of that.
- Place on hot ungreased griddle .
- Cook 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve with cabbage and shredded carrots on top, or with sauerkraut or coleslaw or even a tomato sauce would be good. Topped off with shredded cheese.