Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My DIL introduced me to these. She is more crazy about them than I am, but thought I would post. An El Salvador Recipe-
- 4 cups masa harina
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons shortening (not oil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1⁄2 lb muenster cheese (shredded)
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Cut shortening into dry ingredients with pastry blender.
- Add warm water a few drops at a time until dough is manageable.
- Knead dough 15-20 times.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Form dough into balls the size of an egg.
- Roll out until 6 inches in diameter.
- Add some of the cheese to the top of one tortilla and then add another tortilla on top of that.
- Place on hot ungreased griddle .
- Cook 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve with cabbage and shredded carrots on top, or with sauerkraut or coleslaw or even a tomato sauce would be good. Topped off with shredded cheese.
My BF loved these! They are very filling, but it is hard to stop eating them even when you are full. I burned the first one (just like pancakes) and had to throw it away but once I got the griddle on medium they came out nice. I made the first ones as directed but then found it easier to make a large dimple in the dough ball with my thumb, place the cheese in it, and then pinch it closed and roll out into a circle. These came out a little thinner. I also got a little work out kneading the dough for 20 minutes so next time I might use my kitchen aide. These were a fun recipe to make! Thank you Forgiven!