Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Pupusas California are ground pork,or cheese,or vegetables or mix-fill in corn masa fat tortillas like patties serve with vibrant fresh slaw and salsa cruda! It is a national dish of El Salvador, Central America I love it, Pupusas California bring Meso- America to our family table any time any day! This is easy and fantastic fun food for kids and adults!
- 1 lb fresh cornflour
- 1⁄2 cup Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup shallot, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 6 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 -2 jalapeno, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro or 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 lb any white cheese or 1⁄2 lb yellow cheese
- 1⁄2 cabbage, thinly sliced
- In a bowl mix in masa add 1/4 water and salt cover and set aside.
- Making the ground pork: sautéed in a small pan till all fat has rendered, add shallots salt and pepper, set aside.
- Making the sauce: add tomatoes shallots lemon zest salt and pepper into a blender and mix well u might like to add cilantro and a jalapeño and set in frigerator till serving time.
- To make Pupusas: Grab a small amount of masa into your hands just like a meat ball but this time flatten the masa as small as your palm add the ground pork and some cheese and cover it will look just like an enclose personal pizza! Add to a hot pan 21/2 minutes each side Serve hot with the salsa and cabbage slaw on the side and top it with original ranch dressing!
I liked this but would probably use carnitas or asada as my meat, since those are less greasy. I also used cilantro-lime salad dressing on the side for the cabbage slaw, and it added some flavor to this.