Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another one of my "lets get rid of what we have on hand before it goes bad" dishes. Poor hubby use to get so nervous when I started doing things like this, but now he looks forward to seeing what I can throw together. I am only guess that it serves 6-8 we had it for a few nights and ended throwing a little away. I also say it takes 15-20 to make but that is if everything is already copped and the rice is cooked. I also served with a simple salad. Feel free to add anything or leave something out. My husband likes me to add chicken for a fuller meal.
- 1 cup cooked rice (I used brown, but I am sure white will work just as good)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 yellow squash, sliced thin
- 1 cup chopped white onion (or whatever you have)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced (more if you wish)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes (or reg.diced)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mexicorn (drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese, I used Italian blend but Monterey jack would also be good
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced cooked chicken (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F; lightly grease a shallow casserole dish.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook zucchini, onion, bell pepper, mushroom and garlic, 5 min, or until tender.
- Add garlic salt, basil, paprika, cayenne pepper, and oregano.
- Mixed in cooked rice, tomatoes, beans, corn and half of the cheese. Cook and stir until heated through.
- Transfer to the prepared dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake uncovered 20 minutes or until bubbly.