1/1 Photo of Punjabi Rajma (Kidney Beans)
1 hr 5 mins
This is my version of a recipe from the Hare Krishna website(www.harekrsna.com). This site is a goldmine for Indian vegetarian recipes. I also love the fact that Hare Krishna cooking doesn't use garlic and onions (which I do love), but substitute Hing or asafoetida powder. It's great when you're too lazy to chop/cry while chopping, and hing has its own healthy properties. I believe it is supposed to be an anti-flatulent for one thing. This dish is sort of like an Indian bean chili (an oxymoron for some). I ate it mixed with some basmati rice I cooked in my rice cooker with a small piece of cinnamon stick and a couple of green cardamom pods. My husband ate it with tortilla chips the next day. Some of the elements of the recipe were vague in the original recipe, so use your judgement! The cooking time is just a guess, and depends on your taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 ounce) can cooked red kidney beans
- 1 -3 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 chopped red bird's eye chili
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon hing
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- chopped cilantro leaf (to garnish)
- 1Rinse and drain kidney beans.
- 2Heat the oil on medium to medium high.
- 3Add cumin seeds, ginger, and chilies. Sautee until cumin seeds darken, about one minute, or how you like.
- 4Add tomatoes with the water from the can. Simmer uncovered until the liquid has reduced quite a bit, again to your preference. The longer you simmer, the tastier it will be!
- 5Add the rest of the spices and mix well.
- 6Add the kidney beans and mix well.
- 7Add the water. Simmer uncovered until the liquid has evaporated to the consistency you like. Feel free to add more water, or add less to begin with.
- 8About 15 minutes before you expect it to finished, add the chopped cilantro and stir.
- 9Garnish with the rest of the cilantro when you are ready to eat it!
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Punjabi Rajma (Kidney Beans)
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.4
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1193.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.4 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 19.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red bird's eye chilies