Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I had this soup for lunch at a cafe once, and loved it so much I went straight home to try and imitate it! A fresh and flavoursome take on your average pea and lentil soup, this freezes up really well and tastes great with a toasted bagel or turkish loaf. For extra creaminess, serve with a dollop of natural yoghurt.
- 1⁄2 cup split peas (green)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow split peas
- 1⁄2 cup dried whole peas
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 4 teaspoons vegetable stock powder
- 8 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (buy it or make your own)
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse lentils and peas, and add to stock pot with vegetables and water.
- Add garlic, spices and stock powder and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 1-2 hours or until peas and lentils are tender. Skim as needed to remove impurities.
- Add freshly chopped mint and season with salt and pepper. Stir and serve.