Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A classic Punjabi way of cooking mustard greens.From the World of the East Vegetarian Cookbook by Madhur Jaffrey.
- 1 lb mustard greens, thoroughly washed
- 1⁄2 lb spinach, thoroughly washed
- 1⁄2 inch piece fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 fresh green chile (such as serrano)
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornmeal
- Wash greens and spinach well.Add to a pot with a small amount of water and simmer 15 minutes.Drain any remaining liquid.
- Peel the ginger and coarsley chop garlic and chile.Blend ginger ,garlic,chile,and greens to a smooth paste in a blender or food processor.
- Heat 6 tablespoons in a pan over medium.add the cornmeal and cook,stirring constantly ,for 2 minutes-do not let the cornmeal brown.
- Turn the heat to medium-low,add 1/4 cup water let simmer for 1 minute then add puree.Cook for 10 minutes stirring often.
- Top with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and serve hot.