Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
tasty and yummy
- 1⁄2 cup besan (gram flour)
- 1 pinch cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons chopped onions
- 1 chopped green chili (or jalapeno)
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder or 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- oil (for frying, estimated)
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 4 cups water
- 1 pinch red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons besan (gram flour)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 big onion, slivered
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 large tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Make pakoras:.
- Mix pakora ingredients (besan, cumin seeds, onions, green chilli, ginger, turmeric,red chilli powder and salt) in a bowl until smooth. Add enough water to make a very thick batter.
- Fry mixture by tablespoonfuls in hot oil until golden and crispy, then drain on paper toweling.
- Blend yogurt, 4 cups water and besan. It should look like a buttermilk.
- Pour oil in a big pan (or wok) and heat it until it gets hot. .
- Add onions and fry until golden brown.
- Add the garlic, and ginger to it and fry for 3 minutes, watching that it should not stick to the bottom of the pan.now Add cumin seeds coriander powder,red chilli powder,salt,turmeric,tomatoes,green chilli and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the kadi sauce mixture.
- Gently stir the curry, as it will start sticking to the bottom. Keep it on medium heat first, and let it come to a boil. Keep watching it and stirring. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, then lower the heat and let it cook on low flame for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir for another 5 minutes and check if its thick enough and looks dark yellow. Again stir it for 5 minutes.than add the pakoras in the kadi.
- Boil more for 3 minutes and don’t stir too much as the pakora can break apart.
This is a very traditional and yummy recipe for kadhi. I make it almost every week. The longer it cooks, the better it gets. I add 1 teaspoon red chilli powder in the curry since my DH likes spicy foods. I make dumplings sometimes without onions. It tastes great with chappatti or boiled rice. Thanks for sharing.