1/3 Photos of Punjabi Dal Makhani
8 hrs 20 mins
A Punjabi mixed lentil curry generally made with lots of butter and cream.This recipe tastes even better the following day after reheating properly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup Urad Dal (black matpe beans)
- 1/4 cup red kidney beans (rajmah)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 inches gingerroot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (extra large tomatoes)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1Soak whole black urad and rajma overnight in 3-4 cups of water.
- 2Cook the soaked dal and rajma in the same water with salt, red chili powder and half the chopped ginger till dal and rajma are cooked and soft.
- 3Peel and chop the onion, ginger and garlic finely. Also chop the tomatoes.
- 4Heat oil and butter in a thick-bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds, when it crackles add chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
- 5Add chopped ginger, garlic and chopped tomatoes. Sauté till tomatoes are well mashed and fat starts to leave the masala. Add boiled dal and rajma to this.Do not add the liquid at first.Crush(mash) the dals with the back of the ladle while stirring continuously, this gives that creamy texture to the dal .
- 6Add the liquid and some water if required and simmer on very low heat for fifteen minutes.
- 7Add fresh cream and garam masala powder let it simmer for another five minutes. Finish off with a couple of pinch of Kasoori methi powdered.
- 8Serve hot with Naan or Paraatha.
- 9Tip: Replacing the tomatoes with 4 tablespoons of thick tomato paste will enhance the taste and colour of the dish manifold.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Punjabi Dal Makhani
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.7
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 63.6 mg
- Sodium 88.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: