Punjabi chole is a preparation that involves chickpeas(kondakadalai),tomato,onions and special dry masala powder-chole masala.You can make your own spice powder or by all means you can use store bought. I have seen some recipes using teabags but I was not very sure I have always eaten golden color chole not black,so I didn't use tea bags.This goes very well any Indian flat bread also you can mix it with rice for a quick pulao.Try this and let me know :)Punjabi chole recipe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups white chickpeas
- 2 large tomatoes, blanched peeled and pureed
- 1 large onion, sliced fine
- 2 teaspoons chole garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon amchur powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, flakes crushed
- cilantro, for garnishing
- 11.Soak white chickpeas in enough water for 6-8 hours.Drain the water and pressure cook till soft not mushy.Keep aside.
- 22.Heat a kadai and add2 teaspoons oil to it.Add cumin seeds,green chillies and temper.Next add ginger,sliced onions and saute till golden.
- 33.Add the tomato puree,salt,chole masala,garam masala,chilli powder and mix well.Let it cook for 10 minutes.
- 44.Add the cooked chick peas and add 1/4 cup water.Cook till all the gravy is absorbed.
- 55.Garnish with cilantro leaves,add amchur powder and
- 66.serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Punjabi Chole(Chole Masala)
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.7
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 315.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: