Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Punjabi chole is a preparation that involves chickpeas(kondakadalai),tomato,onions and special dry masala powder-chole masala.You can make your own spice powder or by all means you can use store bought. I have seen some recipes using teabags but I was not very sure I have always eaten golden color chole not black,so I didn't use tea bags.This goes very well any Indian flat bread also you can mix it with rice for a quick pulao.Try this and let me know :)Punjabi chole recipe
- 1 1⁄4 cups white chickpeas
- 2 large tomatoes, blanched peeled and pureed
- 1 large onion, sliced fine
- 2 teaspoons chole garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon amchur powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, flakes crushed
- cilantro, for garnishing
- 1.Soak white chickpeas in enough water for 6-8 hours.Drain the water and pressure cook till soft not mushy.Keep aside.
- 2.Heat a kadai and add2 teaspoons oil to it.Add cumin seeds,green chillies and temper.Next add ginger,sliced onions and saute till golden.
- 3.Add the tomato puree,salt,chole masala,garam masala,chilli powder and mix well.Let it cook for 10 minutes.
- 4.Add the cooked chick peas and add 1/4 cup water.Cook till all the gravy is absorbed.
- 5.Garnish with cilantro leaves,add amchur powder and
- 6.serve hot.